Sierra Club Inner City Outings is a community outreach program providing opportunities for urban youth and adults to explore, enjoy and protect the natural world.
Baltimore Inner City Outings (BICO) Baltimore Inner City Outings was founded in 1999 with the goal of providing under-served Baltimore City youth with educational, enjoyable, and safe outdoor experiences at no cost to them. Over the last 13 years BICO has organized nearly 500 outings, serving almost 5000 youth. This could not have been done with the support of the many volunteers who lead outings, and provide their expertise in a variety of ways to our all-volunteer organization.
BICO provides environmental education and promotes:
BICO’s outings in and around Baltimore include:
Since Inception (1999): Number of Trips: 444 Trips Number of Youth Participants: 4,921 Kids Number of Volunteer Hours (Since July 2001 and Not Including Administration): 27,102 Hours
Baltimore Inner City Outings is experiencing a critical need and has openings for the following volunteer positions- Certified Leader, Outing volunteer, Webmaster, Grant Writing/Fundraising, and Insurance Records/Trip Report Coordinator. These positions are extremely important for the continued success of our organization. Training and support will be provided. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to help out or with any questions.
Read on for how to be a certified Leader or Volunteer- BALTIMORE INNER CITY OUTINGS VOLUNTEER/LEADER CERTIFICATION CHECKLIST
Sign and submit the following documents to the BICO Volunteer Coordinator:
• BICO Volunteer Application (Please include email addresses for references.)
• Sierra Club Outing Committee ICO Volunteer Agreement
• BICO Code of Ethics You will be notified when you pass the background check.
To become a Certified Leader:
1. You must be a member of the Sierra Club.
2. Take first aid training and receive certification equivalent to or higher than American Red Cross Basic First Aid. Submit copy of certificate. (Renew every 2 years)
3. Complete ICO Outings Leader Training -- Basic ICO OLT 101 (Renew every 4 years)
4. Complete the Child Abuse Recognition and Prevention training and self-assessment. (Renew annually)
5. Assist with two BICO outings.
6. Lead a “checkout” BICO outing and receive a positive evaluation.